About the ALICE Report
Archive of Reports
- 2018 WI ALICE Report
- 2016 WI ALICE Report
What the ALICE Report is not:
- Simply an income problem.
- A political position, but rather a body of data that helps us understand the economic realities of this population.
- A stance on raising the minimum wage. This alone would not help ALICE rise above challenging circumstances.
- A finger pointing – or finger wagging – to Wisconsin’s businesses. The engine of local economics knows that in order for their business to thrive, their community has to as well.
- An “us” or “them” report but an illumination of daily financial struggles many of us face – including those who fall below the poverty line. United Way is invested in improving the community – and that means all members of the community. While there are different tactics for different needs, United Way focuses on strategies that fight for the education, financial stability and health of everyone in every community – the building blocks of a stable life.
How can United Ways and others use the ALICE Report?
- Wisconsin’s United Ways are using the ALICE report to educate, engage the community in developing strategies to lift ALICE to financial stability and begin a dialogue about strategies for long-term systemic change.
- We invite all to join us to fight for education, financial stability and health of everyone in every community – the building blocks of a stable life. You can:
- Host community conversations with corporations, faith-based organizations, government entities and concerned citizens to discuss ways to improve/prevent some of these hardships and how to better support ALICE families.
- Use the data to educate community members that ALICE exists in your area.
- Analyze the data and see what barriers are challenging ALICE families in your community.
- Use the ALICE data to take a closer look at some of the business practices in your community.
- Organize coalitions in your community that will work towards supporting ALICE.
- Small changes will add up to broad-scale differences for everyone below the ALICE threshold. Together we can envision a better future.