My name is Chris Burks. I am passionate about making an impact on the youth and families in our community, whether it was volunteering with Big Brothers, Big Sisters when I was in college; to coaching youth athletes; to becoming a foster parent – all of which led me to becoming a Community Health Worker (CHW) for the La Crosse Area Family YMCA. It was one of the most life-changing experiences I’ve had. Helping our most vulnerable community members overcome barriers of health is extremely rewarding. This passion led me to the Great Rivers HUB, where I believe I can have a bigger impact on our community and spread the CHW workforce through out the state.
15 Questions for Chris
- What are you most excited about in your new position? Being able to help impact the CHW workforce in our community and the state.
- Favorite color? Carolina Blue
- Number of children? 4 – ages 12, 4, 3, and 6 months old. They definitely keep me on my toes with very little quite time.
- Least favorite household chore? Mowing the lawn and shoveling snow are a tie.
- Latest tidbit you’ve learned about United Way? I have been amazed with all the neat programs we offer.
- Favorite recreational activity? Sports (Hockey) and playing music (drums)
- Genre of music? I have a very wide range of musical tastes – my favorites are rock, hip hop, and musicals.
- Most likely to order on a menu? Cheese curds – I always order them when available.
- Favorite movie? Any of the Harry Potter movies.
- Most looking forward to in the first United Way campaign? Just seeing our community come together to support each other.
- Role model? My Grandpa – he set an amazing example of how to support and love your family.
- Favorite place to visit? Anna Maria Island – we went there as a family for Christmas last year.
- Guilty pleasure? Musical soundtracks
- Memorable moment in the new job thus far? Getting to hear Community Health Workers share their stories of all the amazing work they’re doing in the community.
- Favorite thing about our community? The way we come together to try and help others in our community.