United We Chalk
Saturday, June 4, 2022
8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. – see schedule below
100 Harborview Plaza, La Crosse, WI 54601
UNITED WE CHALK is a family-friendly, all-abilities chalk art competition. This year’s event is presented by artPOP. Come to win or watch — it’s all for a GREAT cause… Great Rivers United Way’s 51 funded programs!
- People’s Choice cash prizes — $200 each
- Juried Awards — trophies for:
- Best Use of Theme — incorporate GRUW’s 2022-23 campaign theme, “Play it Forward,” or depict a community need GRUW supports
- Best Use of Special Effects — use 3D, illusion, or interactive elements
- Best Use of Color — include a wide variety of colors, or create interest with just a few
Register as an individual or team of 2-5. Early bird registration is $30* and includes:
- 1 box of Crayola 48-count Washable Sidewalk Chalk
- You are welcome to bring/supplement with your own supplies (must be non-permanent)
- 1 brush, bucket, and sponge
- 21′ 10″ x 11′ 4″ paved space
- Placement is first-come, first-served the morning of the event
- You do not need to fill your entire space, but this is the maximum space given to every individual/team
- Bottled drinking water
*Registration fee increases to $40 on Thursday, June 2.
Artists are welcome to bring additional materials with them, including non-permanent art supplies, painters tape, tools, etc. Tarps are recommended to cover your piece in case of pop-up showers. Canopies for shade are welcome if smaller than 12′ x 12′.
- Competion: 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. — you may start working as early at 8:00 a.m.; you must begin no later than 12:00 p.m. and finish by 2:00 p.m.
- Lunch: 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. — food trucks/vendors will be on site from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., or until sold out.
- Juried awards: 2:00 p.m. — winners of our three “best of” tophies will be announced following judging from 1:30 to 2:00 p.m.; you need not be present to win, but you’re invited to stay or come back for this brief announcement.
- Peoples’ choice winners: Will be announced Tuesday, June 7, 12:00 p.m., live on Great Rivers United Way’s Facebook page.
People’s Choice winners will be determined by public vote in person during and online after the event. One dollar = one vote. Online voting will close Monday, June 6, at 4:00 p.m., Winners will be announced on Tuesday, June 7, at 12:00 p.m. Great Rivers United Way will promote online voting via local news outlets and our social media accounts, and teams are encouraged to share their voting pages with their families and friends to increase their chances of winning our People’s Choice prizes. Additional juried awards will be decided day-of and announced at the conclusion of the event (need not be present to win).
Voting link coming 6/4/22
In the event of inclement weather, we will make the decision to execute the plan below by Thursday, June 2, at 9:00 a.m. This decision will be communicated to registrants via email and GRUW’s social media channels. Refunds will not be given.
- Pick up supplies between Friday, June 3, and Thursday, June 9, at the following locations/times:
- Great Rivers United Way, 1855 E. Main St., Onalaska — M-F, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., or
- artPOP, 1514 Market St., La Crosse — Th-Sa; 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Chalk your entry on a paved ground surface by Monday, June 20, 4:00 p.m. AND
- Submit 1 individual/team photo AND 1-5 photos of your entry to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, June 20, 4:00 p.m.
- Voting will take place online from Wednesday, June 22, through Friday, June 24, at 12:00 p.m.
- Winners will be announced Friday, June 24, at 4:00 p.m.