My name is Erica Vehrenkamp, and I am the new intern at Great Rivers United Way! I grew up in the La Crosse area but call West Salem home. I am a second year student in the Human Services program at Western Technical College. I plan to pursue my Bachelors in Social Work after I graduate with my associates at Western. My overall goal is to be a Social Worker for the elderly population in the La Crosse area. I look forward to what United Way has in store forme as their new fall intern!
15 Questions for Erika
- What are you most excited about in regard to this internship? This is my first internship so I am excited for the overall experience. It will be nice to learn more about the needs in the community I grew up in.
- Favorite color? My favorite color is lavender or magenta, basically any kind of purple!
- What three adjectives best describe you? Smiley, personable, and light-hearted.
- Least favorite household chore? Dishes, it’s a never ending cycle.
- Favorite movie? I watch way too many movies to have a favorite. I love everything from Marvels the Avengers to The Notebook. I am not a fan of scary movies at night or in theaters though!
- Favorite memory? I don’t have a favorite memory, but I do always enjoy the times I have with friends, family, and my relationship. I love creating more memories so that I eventually have a favorite!
- Favorite recreational activities? Over the warm months I enjoy being on the water kayaking or exploring state parks.
- Genre of music? I listen to whatever is on the radio most times, whether it be pop, country, or even a little rock.
- Most likely to order on a menu? I like to get either some steak, a burger, or pizza (the Wisconsin favorites I’m sure).
- Favorite book? I do not have a favorite book, but I do enjoy the books written by Gayle Forman.
- Role model? I look up to the leaders and the helpers in a community. Not one specific person, but a type of person who just wants to help.
- Favorite place to visit? Anywhere there is family, whether that be here in Lacrosse or down in Iowa, I enjoy spending my free time visiting family and friends.
- Guilty pleasure? I love my fair share of chocolate, who doesn’t?
- Memorable moment in the internship thus far? Just how friendly everyone is and how dedicated they are to helping the community.
- Favorite thing about our community? I love how we have so much room for growth. We have a great population and good facilities, we just have so much more growing that we can do as a community and that is exciting!