Tips for volunteering
Great Rivers United Way’s volunteer portal, Ugetconnected, will help you stick to many of the following tips…
- Be selective
- Think about what matters to you, and be selective about where you spend your time. Choosing opportunities that make you feel good while helping others builds stronger communities and enriches your own life at the same time. Every agency on Ugetconnected has a profile where you can learn more about what they do.
- Choose carefully
- Great Rivers United Way works with volunteers and local nonprofits to develop the best opportunities for youth, busy working adults, and seniors to serve. When you work with your local United Way, you can feel confident about the quality of the opportunity you choose and about the organization you donate your time to support.
- Research causes that are important to you
- Whether it’s helping children achieve their potential, helping families become financially stable, or improving people’s health, find out what cause is closest to your heart and make a difference.
- Consider the skills you have to offer
- Would you like to write an agency’s newsletter? Or would you rather build a house? Find something you enjoy doing and enhance your skills through volunteering. Add your skills to your Ugetconnected profile, and you’ll receive need suggestions right in your email inbox.
- Learn something new
- Volunteering can also teach you valuable new skills that you can use in other parts of your life. For example, learning how to handle crisis calls may help you communicate better.
- Don’t over-commit your schedule
- Stick to a volunteering schedule that makes sense for you and leaves you time to enjoy the activity.
- Consider volunteering as a family
- Group volunteering is a wonderful way to bond with your family or co-workers. Not only will you create lasting memories, but you will be helping local people. Ugetconnected features a whole section of family-friendly needs.