Julie Nelson is a former WKBT-TV news anchor who made the leap into the non-profit world and never looked back. She has worked at Vernon Memorial Healthcare, Aptiv (formerly Riverfront), and The Salvation Army. She has also served as a substitute teaching assistant for the School District of La Crosse, working with students in need of the programming offered by Great Rivers United Way.
In her free time, Julie enjoys many outdoor activities, including bicycling, kayaking and cross country skiing.
15 Questions for Julie
- What are you most excited about in your new position? Read to Success and sparks! I’m excited to be a part of these great programs and am anxious to meet with more people so we can get going for the year ahead!
- Favorite color? Blue and yellow.
- Number of children? Two: Abby, 24, is the teen librarian in Menomonie and Altoona, and Jacob, 21, is training to be a chef and is currently cooking at Creekside Pub.
- Least favorite household chore? Clothes. I hate picking them out, I hate picking them up, and I hate putting them away.
- Latest tidbit you’ve learned about United Way? The Booth Conference Room was named for an office VIP.
- Favorite recreational activity? Bicycling in the summer, cross country skiing in the winter. I also sing in my church choir and play with the Cheezland Ukulele band.
- Genre of music? Classic rock is my go-to, but I enjoy a variety.
- Most likely to order on a menu? Something at least moderately healthy. Though if I’m at a place known for its burger and fries, then that’s what I’m getting!
- Favorite movie? The Sound of Music
- Most looking forward to in the first United Way campaign? Spending time with people who want to make the community a better place.
- Role model? My dad. He always had a positive attitude, believed in trying new things, and tried to look on the bright side.
- Favorite place to visit? I graduated from UW-Madison, so always enjoy walking State Street and sitting on the Union Terrace.
- Guilty pleasure? We are big fans of Survivor in our house.
- Memorable moment in the new job thus far? Hanging out at the Dakota Supply Group golf outing. The weather was darned cold in the morning but super nice in the afternoon. Chatted with lots of people who were happy to support the United Way.
- Favorite thing about our community? The beauty of the bluffs and the river and the nearby opportunities to find a place where you can stop and hear nothing but nature.