I am in week four at Great Rivers United Way, and I am enjoying every moment.
I am the new Director of Development for Great Rivers United Way, which means I am in charge of raising the vital funding that United Way Partner Programs need to keep going.
I earned my degree in finance from Western Technical College, and I also have a certificate of non-profit leadership from Viterbo University. Before GRUW, I was the Program Director of Consumer Credit Counseling Service of La Crosse for three and a half years, during which time I lifted the agency to a 300%+ increase in revenue, and improved awareness in the community. My time at CCCS helped me to see ALL of the wonderful things our community is capable of, and when I got the opportunity to support 75 different programs that change people’s lives every day, I leapt at the chance!
I am excited to be on board and help give back to United Programs like they give back to our community.
15 Questions for Majel
- What are you most excited about in your new position? I am excited to help make the connection between United Way Programs and the community donors. I think this position is so much more than money, it a year round relationship to foster engagement in all of its forms and the amazing work that the United Way and its partner agencies do! I love that I get support all 26 partner agencies in their amazing work and help them keep doing what they are doing!
- Favorite color? Green
- Number of children? Does our pet crayfish count? Probably not. 🙂
- Least favorite household chore? I do it anyway but I hate mopping the floor.
- Latest tidbit you’ve learned about United Way? I have learned that Teri Booth is the knower of all and keeper of everything!
- Favorite recreational activity? I LOVE sports! But as of late I have taken a fondness to outdoor running.
- Genre of music? Rock (I’m a 95.7 listener.)
- Most likely to order on a menu? Chicken or a salad (boring but TRUE!)
- Favorite book? The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown
- Most looking forward to in the 1st United Way campaign? Figuring out what I am doing! Seriously, I am looking forward to being a fresh set of eyes and helping move the needle to increase funding for partner programs.
- Role model? I have role models! My parents, Darrel and Alana Olson.
- Favorite place to visit? I haven’t done a ton of traveling but I really enjoy just being around friends and family. It’s not what you’re doing; it’s who you are with!
- Guilty pleasure? Anything chocolate
- Memorable moment in the new job thus far? My first day I stayed working until 5:00 p.m. because I was not aware the office closed at 4:30. Oops! I’m an over achiever already!
- Favorite thing about our community? There are so many things about the Coulee Region that makes it the unique, amazing area it is. If I had to choose, I choose our spirit and passion to get around any cause and make our max efforts to improve the lives and neighborhoods in our communities. It really is an incredible thing to be a part of.